Government Departments: War Office- Acquisition of War Trophies
20 sub-files of correspondence with the War Office regarding the acquisition of war trophies for the Museum. Consists of:
1) Lantern Slides held at Central Ordnance Depot, Didcot: Correspondence regarding the donation of five boxes of lantern slides relating to the First World War.
2) German Equipment (German Army) from Central Ordnance Sub-Depot, Olympia: Correspondence regarding the acquisition of German and Italian Uniforms and Equipment from the Depot, and the return of unwanted items. Includes convoy note for items.
3) Weapons: Correspondence regarding acquisition of German and other captured weapons (mostly firearms and guns) from Captured Store Depot at Alexandria originally earmarked for Bicester Museum.
4) Correspondence with Lt Col E. Gibb: Correspondence with Lt Col Gibb regarding the acquisition of photographs taken by him during the Second World War, models of the Rhine area, and other briefing models used on D-Day.
5) Crusader Mark III Tank/ Sherman Mark III Tank: Correspondence relating to the loan of these two tanks from War Office, moving offsite for Petroleum Exhibition and subsequently being mislaid.
6) Enemy Weapons from Ordnance Sub-Depot Weedon: Correspondence regarding selection of enemy weapons (Japanese, German and Italian) from the depot from the Museum. Also issue vouchers for these.
7) Stores Insepction Division, Central Ordnance Depot, Didcot: Arrangements for loan of Hotchkiss Packsaddlery to Stores Inspection Division.
8) New straps for the Four Wooden Horses: Orders for new straps and saddlery equipment for the wooden horses on display in the Museum from the War Office. Later abandoned due to onset of Second World War.
9) RAC Tank Museum- Loan of 79th Armoured Division Exhibit: Correspondence regarding giving of models showing the 79th Armoured Division to the Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset. Also regarding requested loan of Renault Tank to the Museum (not agreed to).
10) Pressure Gauge and Foot Pump for Tyres: Correspondence regarding loan of pressure gauge and foot pump from the War Office to use on the guns and vehicles on display. Also includes list of correct tyre pressures for various types of equipment.
11) Ordnance Board: Correspondence with Ordnance board regarding the possible acquisition of unwanted firearms from them, and the halting of this.
12) 24 Hour Ration Pack/ Tommy Cooker: Letter and despatch note regarding donation of a ration pack and a tommy cooker (personal cooker) to the Museum
13) Display Case Containing Samples of the Metal Breast Plates and Bit Bosses etc: Acquisition of display case containing breast plates and bit bosses used on saddles from the war office.
14) Director's Visit to Sample Display Section: Correspondence and memos arranging the visit to the various Ordnance depots by the Director-General to look for suitable exhibits.
15) German Mines, Booby Traps, Charges etc: Correspondence with War Office regarding viewing and acquisition of some German Mines.
16) Ex-Enemy Equipment from COD Feltham: Correspondence regarding the viewing and selection of display cases containing German equipment for the Museum. Includes lists of items selected.
17) Mr Rogers Visit to Germany: Correspondence and documents regarding the visit of Mr Rogers to Germany to select exhibits for the Museum. Includes report of trip, lists of items selected, arrangements for the visit.
18) German Weapon Issue Vouchers: Issue vouchers for German weapons to the Museum.
19) Collection of Formation Badges etc: Correspondence regarding acquisition of British Military Badges from the War Office for the Museum, also correspondence regarding possibility of adding to collection later on. Also includes list of badges acquired and correspondence regarding subsequent loan and return of badges to other institutions.
20) Italian Four Meter Base Rangefinder: Correspondence regarding possible acquisition of Italian Rangefinder.