Government Departments: HM Treasury- General (assorted files)
Six sub-files of correspondence with HM Treasury relating to various matters. Consists of:
1) Estimates: Includes letters to Treasury explaining Museum overspends, copy of Second Report from Select Committee of Estimates 1950-51, proposals for estimates from imediate post-war years, tables explaining staff reorganisation of Museum in 1946.
2) Proposal to Close Museums One Day a Week: Letter from the Treasury suggesting that Museums close for one day a week, two letters from the Museum responding to this.
3) David Stephens Esq: Correspondence with David Stephens of Tresury Estates Division regarding his change of post, staffing review of Museum should another war take place, estimates, and a possible charging exhibition by the War Office to be held in the building immediately after the Second World War.
4) Correspondence re Free Issue of Service Equipment: Includes note regarding Museum sale of war publications, request for consent to increase scope of Museum to include Korea and inter-war years, supply of information to Museum of information regarding Korea, reproduction fees, free transfer of equipment to deal with Ministry of Information prints etc, summary of financial terms in which enemy equipment can be issued to Museum as trophies, disposal war trophies.
5) Treasury- Coronation Seats: Correspondence with treasury regarding supply of seat in the Mall for the Coronation to Museum trustee.
6) Sir Robert Knox, Treasury: Correspondence with Sir Robert Knox regarding appointment Museum staff as MBEs, loan of books to the treasury, donation of specimen Certificates for mentions in Despatches and Commendations, staffing.
Also includes loose a newspaper article of Museum funding and a copy of the Rules and Regulations of the Museum.