Groups and Schools
Explore the impact of war on people’s lives from the First World War to the present. IWM North is home to a diverse collection of artefacts from a Russian tank to a tin of powdered egg; from a make do and mend toy dog to a section of the World Trade Center.
Planning your visit
Visit the relevant Key Stage page to find out what activities are on offer, you might also want to use our free activity trails and digital learning resources to inspire your self-guided visit.
We encourage teachers to conduct pre-visit planning.
Schools, academies, FE and HE colleges and groups, including adult, military and overseas groups, can book a timeslot for a self-led visit.
IWM is developing a new, exciting and pioneering learning and engagement programme. This will be rolled out in 2017 – in time for the museum’s own centenary. In order to create this programme, and remain relevant to today’s audiences, IWM will be pausing the delivery of learning sessions (with the exception of Holocaust Learning sessions at IWM London and IWM North) from May to the end of 2016.
School groups are still welcome to visit all our museums throughout this period and digital resources are on offer.
We are sorry for any disappointment caused by the short-term pause in provision of learning sessions; however we are sure that the future learning and engagement programme, available from 2017, will provide long-lasting benefits for all our audiences.
- All schools, colleges and groups must book in advance by filling in an online booking form. You can find the form by clicking on the Key Stage or relevant section in the grey tool bar at the top of the page.
- General admission to IWM North is free, charges apply for learning sessions.
- Payment can be made in advance or by invoice.
- For full details see Terms and Conditions.
- For prices see Terms and Conditions.
- If you have any questions email LearningNorth@iwm.org.uk or call +44 (0)161 836 4000 and ask for the Customer Services Team.