Groups and Schools
Thank you for continuing to support IWM.
From 1 December 2016, bookings will open for school groups to visit our branches in the following ways:
- Free self-guided visits for your pupils, suitable for Key Stages 2 and above at all of our IWM Branches: IWM Duxford, IWM North, Churchill War Rooms and HMS Belfast
- Holocaust teaching sessions, suitable for Years 9 and above, at both IWM London and IWM North
These will be available to book for January – August 2017.
We also have new classroom resources available, including STEM resources for Key Stages 3 & 4.
We are committed to providing the best possible ways for children to engage with our galleries, collections and stories. We have invested in a new online system which will be live from early 2017 and will make it easier for you to book your visit online. We will be contacting you again when this system launches.
Brand new sessions
We will be piloting a small number of new sessions from April - July 2017 across our branches. If you'd like your class to help shape our future sessions during this time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest and we’ll be in touch with more information. Subject to availability.
We will be opening bookings for new sessions in July 2017 and we will be contacting you again when these open.
As part of creating our new programme, we'd like to hear your thoughts on what you’d like to see for schools at IWM. If you'd like to register your interest in an evening of drinks and conversation about learning at your local IWM, please contact email@example.com and we'll be in touch with more information. Subject to availability.
Thank you once again for supporting IWM and for your patience during our review period. We look forward to welcoming you for your next visit.
Booking a visit
- All groups and schools must book in advance
- You will receive a response within ten working days
- Do not make travel arrangements until you have received a confirmation email with your Visit Confirmation Letter attached.
- Booking information
- You can sign up to our mailing list to receive news and updates for Learning and Engagement at IWM.
- Gift bags are available to be reserved in advance and collected during your visit
Schools request a visit Groups request a visit
Resources for your visit or in the classroom
Frequently Asked Questions
- What accessibility provisions do you have at IWM?
- What provisions are there for SEN students?
- Where can we eat lunch?
- How do I get to IWM?
- Who can I contact to find out more?
- Do I need to carry out a risk assessment?
See our Accessibility for more details.
Please get in touch if you have any requirements you wish to discuss.
We have a lunch space for schools and groups. When you book a visit to IWM you will be allocated a lunch time spot.
For groups who wish to purchase refreshments, the WaterShard Café & Kitchen offers a perfect opportunity to take a break during your visit. Head Chef Tony Pickup and his team have created menus inspired by the flavours of the North West. The WaterShard Café & Kitchen is open daily, 10am - 4.30pm, offering homemade bakery, Fairtrade tea and coffee and a fantastic lunchtime menu from 12pm – 2pm, with seasonal salads and sandwiches from our deli bar, as well as a selection of hot food choices. Subject to availability we can reserve space in the café for groups, to find out more, please call the café team on 0161 836 4032.
All our sites can be reached by public transport. See Plan Your Visit.
If you have any questions email LearningNorth@iwm.org.uk
Teachers and group leaders are advised to carry out a preliminary visit in advance of their school trip. Please see IWM Identified Risk to help you with your own risk assessment.