Plan Your Visit
- We are open every day from 10am - 5pm including Bank Holidays
- Last admission is 30 minutes before close
- We are closed on 24, 25, and 26 December
- Contact us at 0161 836 4000 or through the customer portal. International callers can contact us at +44 (0)161 836 4000.
How to get to IWM North
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) is constructing a new tram line through Trafford Park, which will include a new stop outside IWM North. Building this major new Metrolink line will involve temporary changes to traffic and footpaths in the area. Please check the TfGM website when planning your journey. Contact TfGM on 0161 205 2000 during office hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
IWM North is easily accessible by public transport from the City Centre or by car via the Manchester Outer Ring Road (M60). To make your visit greener, please consider using public transport. To plan your route, visit Traveline North-West.
IWM North is easily accessible via the tram. Metrolink offers fast, frequent and fully accessible transport to and from Manchester city centre. Take the Eccles line to MediaCityUK and walk across the footbridge to reach the museum.
Nearest bus routes
- 291 Piccadilly Gardens to Trafford Centre. This service stops outside IWM North on Trafford Wharf Road.
- 250 Piccadilly Gardens to Trafford Centre. This service stops on Wharfside Way, Trafford Park. Alight at Village Circle and walk back to Elevator Road; continue on foot to IWM North on Trafford Wharf Road.
- 50 from East Didsbury via the City Centre and Salford Crescent to MediaCityUK. This service stops on the Salford side of The Quays by The Lowry. We are a short walk across the canal by footbridge.
- For timetable enquiries, call 0161 228 7811. For more information on getting to IWM North by bus visit Transport for Greater Manchester or Stagecoach.
Visiting us by train
Visit National Rail Enquiries to plan your journey to central Manchester stations and continue by tram.
Visiting us by car or coach
Leave the M60 at Junction 9 and join Parkway (A5081) towards Trafford Park. At the first island take the third exit onto Village Way; at the next island take the second exit onto Warren Bruce Road. Turn right at the T-junction onto Trafford Wharf Road. Alternatively, leave the M602 at Junction 3 and follow the signs.
Secure parking is available for 160 cars, including designated parking spaces for Blue Badge holders available on a first-come, first-served basis (charges apply). IWM is a charity and the income from car parking provides vital income for the museum, to allow us to continue to develop exhibitions and learning programmes. The following charges apply:
- 0-4 hours £5.00
- 4-6 hours £7.00
- 6-8 hours £8.00
- 8-12 hours £10.00
- 12-24 hours £15.00
Locker facilities are available free of charge.
Eating and Drinking
The IWM North Café is located on the ground floor and offers a perfect opportunity to take a break during your visit. Head Chef Tony Pickup and his team have created menus inspired by the flavours of the North West. The IWM North Café is open daily, 10am - 4.30pm, offering homemade bakery, Fairtrade tea and coffee, fantastic deli sandwiches and salads.
Toilets are situated on the Ground Floor next to the Shop and include accessible toilets.
Shopping at IWM North
IWM North's Shop provides a wide range of books, CDs, DVDs, clothing and accessories, posters and stationery, souvenirs and gift ideas.
For our younger visitors we have an exciting range of games, toys and souvenirs as well as a selection of children's books. There are also educational resource materials and children's activity books on sale.
You can also browse our range of products on our Online Shop.
Things to do and see in the area
IWM North is located at The Quays, Greater Manchester's fantastic waterfront destination. Within just one square mile, you will find a hub of culture, history and sport venues. Visit Creative Tourist to find out about cultural events, or visit one of Manchester's other award-winning museums or galleries: