Groups and Schools
What you can do
Bookings are now open for school groups to visit our branches in the following ways:
- Free self-guided visits for your pupils, suitable for Key Stages 2 and above at all of our IWM Branches: IWM Duxford, IWM North, Churchill War Rooms and HMS Belfast
- Holocaust teaching sessions, suitable for Years 9 and above, at both IWM London and IWM North
- Meet an Evacuee teaching sessions, suitable for Years 5 & 6, at IWM London. Please note these sessions are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment
These will be available to book for January – August 2017.
We have increased the amount of Holocaust teaching sessions available at IWM London to respond to high demand and we have new classroom resources available, including STEM resources for Key Stages 3 & 4.
We are committed to providing the best possible ways for children to engage with our galleries, collections and stories. We have invested in a new online system which will be live from early 2017 and will make it easier for you to book your visit online.
Brand new sessions
We will be piloting a number of new sessions from April-July 2017. We will be in touch with more information and will be open for bookings new sessions in July 2017.
Booking a visit
- All UK schools must book in advance
- For groups and overseas schools no booking is required
- You will receive a response within ten working days
- Do not make travel arrangements until you have received a confirmation email with your Visit Confirmation Letter attached.
- Booking information
- You can sign up to our mailing list to receive news and updates for Learning and Engagement at IWM.
Schools request a visit
Resources for your classroom
Frequently Asked Questions
- What accessibility provisions do you have at IWM?
- What provisions are there for SEN students?
- Where can we eat lunch?
- How do I get to IWM?
- Who can I contact to find out more?
- Do I need to carry out a risk assessment?
IWM tries to ensure we cater for a range of needs and can provide wheelchair access, resources to support blind and visually impaired visitors and deaf and hearing impaired visitors.
See Accessibility for more details.
There are a wide range of facilities for students with visual, hearing, learning and mobility impairments. Please get in touch if you have any additional questions.
We have a lunch space for schools and groups. When you book a visit to IWM you will be allocated a lunch time spot.
All our sites can be reached by public transport. See Plan Your Visit.
If you have any questions email LearningBookings@iwm.org.uk
Teachers and group leaders are advised to carry out a preliminary visit in advance of their school trip. Please see IWM Identified Risk to help you with your own risk assessment.