The nature of the ship makes access to some of the areas below decks impossible for wheelchair users. However, we are committed to ensuring HMS Belfast is accessible to as many visitors as possible, and hope the facilities we have introduced enhance your visit. These include:
- A wheelchair lift from the gangway to the Quarterdeck where your tour begins.
- Wheelchairs are available on loan.
- Accessible toilets.
- Assistance dogs for the deaf and sight-impaired are welcome and will have no problem navigating the deck. However, the nature of the ship will make access to some of the areas below decks extremely difficult.
- All visitors are provided with a free hand-held personal audio guide. Earpieces are available in English (adult and family version), French, German and Spanish.
In addition, special modifications have been made to the Deck, the Quarterdeck, Boat Deck and Walrus Café to make them accessible to wheelchair users. The deck is the main passage through the ship and houses the crew's living areas including:
- The Laundry
- The Ship's Chapel
- The Bakery
- Galley and associated prep areas
- Petty Officers' Mess
- Sick Bay
- Dental Surgery
- Arctic Mess Decks
All of our Front of House staff receive training in disability awareness. If you have any queries, or need any assistance, please ask. We will be more than happy to help you. If you have any feedback we would love to hear from you. You can leave comments at our Quarterdeck on your day of visit or email us: email@example.com.
IWM is a charity, and we depend on supporters like you to help us care for and display our exceptional Collections. Please consider making a donation today.