How to enter
These instructions relate to the 2017 Short Film Festival and will be revised for future years.
- Anyone can enter IWM Short Film Festival. We especially encourage submissions from student and amateur filmmakers.
- Films must be no longer than 30 minutes in length. Films submitted which are longer than 30 minutes will not be considered for the Festival.
- Films must be in English or have embedded English subtitles
- Films should have been completed after 1 January 2013. Films completed before this date will not be considered for the Festival.
- Films which have been previously submitted to IWM Short Film Festival will not be considered for re-submission.
- Films must be submitted before midnight on 28 April 2017. Films submitted after this deadline will not be considered for the Festival.
- Films do not have to include IWM Collections material, but they must be inspired by IWM and its collections
- Films do not need to focus on war and conflict as long as there is a demonstrable link to IWM collections
- Entrants can submit more than one film. However each submission must be made via a separate submission form, and separate versions of the required materials for each film must be provided.
- Submitting a film to IWM Short Film Festival is free. However, all costs for film production and formatting are the responsibility of the entrant.
Categories for Submission
Films should be submitted under one, and only one, of the following categories:
- Creative response
There will be four additional awards:
- IWM Special Category: States of Emergency
- Best Student Film
- Best Use of IWM Archive Material
- Audience Vote Award
For 2017 our new special award category is States of Emergency, encouraging submissions responding to war and conflict since the seismic events of 11 September 2001.
All shortlisted films will also be eligible for the Audience Vote Award.
The deadline for submissions is midnight on 28 April 2017. Films should be uploaded to Vimeo, and submission forms must be received by that date.
IWM will contact all shortlisted entrants by 28 July 2017. Unfortunately, IWM is not able to contact unsuccessful entrants. If you do not hear from us by 28 July 2017, please assume that your entry has not been selected.
Shortlisted entries will be required to submit a screening copy via memory stick by 25 August 2017 if a screening copy is required.
- Make sure your film conforms to the technical specifications below.
- Upload your film privately to Vimeo and paste the URL and password on the submission form.
- Complete the submission form on IWM’s website.
- You must include a still from your film (landscape format, minimum height of 50 mm or 591 px, resolution 300 dpi).
- Shortlisting will take place 1 May 2017–28 July 2017.
- If your film is shortlisted you will need to provide a screening copy on a memory stick. You will need to provide this by 25 August 2017.
- The file name should contain only the full name of the film, in capital letters with underscores between words (no spaces).
- It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to ensure the screening copy complies with the technical specification. Failure to comply will mean IWM are unable to screen the film.
- Films must be rendered with H.264 video codec with a .mp4 wrapper/file extension.
- Films should not exceed 32mbps.
- Aspect ratio should be 16:9 (1920:1080).
- All subtitles must be embedded.
- Max file size is 10 gigabytes.