Groups and Schools
What you can do
- Self-guided visits
- Holocaust Learning sessions with IWM staff
- Learning session Documentary Challenge: Gallery based including First World War, Second World War or post 1945
Bookings are now open for school groups to visit IWM London in the following ways:
- Free self-guided visits for your pupils, suitable for Key Stages 2 and above at Churchill War Rooms and HMS Belfast
- Holocaust teaching sessions, suitable for Years 9 and above, at IWM London
- Learning sessions at IWM London: Documentary Challenge: Gallery based including First World War, Second World War or post 1945
- Meet an Evacuee teaching sessions, suitable for Years 5 & 6, at IWM London. Please note these sessions are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment
Bookings between January – July 2018 are now open.
We have new classroom resources available, including STEM resources for Key Stages 3 & 4.
We are investing in a new online booking system, which will make it easier to arrange your visit with us and will become available during 2017.
Booking a visit
- All UK schools must book in advance
- For groups and overseas schools no booking is required
- You will receive a response within ten working days
- Do not make travel arrangements until you have received a confirmation email with your Visit Confirmation Letter attached.
- Booking information
- You can sign up to our mailing list to receive news and updates for Learning and Engagement at IWM.
Schools request a visit
Resources for your classroom
Frequently Asked Questions
- What accessibility provisions do you have at IWM?
- What provisions are there for SEN students?
- Where can we eat lunch?
- Can we leave coats and bags?
- How do I get to IWM?
- Who can I contact to find out more?
- Do I need to carry out a risk assessment?
IWM tries to ensure we cater for a range of needs and can provide wheelchair access, resources to support blind and visually impaired visitors and deaf and hearing impaired visitors.
See Accessibility for more details.
There are a wide range of facilities for students with visual, hearing, learning and mobility impairments. Please get in touch if you have any additional questions.
We have a lunch space for schools and groups. When you book a visit to IWM you will be allocated a lunch time spot.
Groups are not permitted to take bags into the Museum except for medical reasons. We have limited cloakroom space we advise leaving coats and bags on your coach. Please note that we do not store coats or jackets in the bag room. Items left in the school bag room are left at the owner’s risk. There are locker facilities which require a £1 coin. We are unable to store large items of luggage or suitcases and the nearest left luggage facility is at Waterloo Station.
All our sites can be reached by public transport. See Plan Your Visit.
If you have any questions email LearningBookings@iwm.org.uk
Teachers and group leaders are advised to carry out a preliminary visit in advance of their school trip. Please see IWM Identified Risk to help you with your own risk assessment.