Peterborough & District War Memorial Hospital
- WM reference
- Memorial type
- Wallace Marchment (Architect)
- Robert S Jellings (Builder)
- Mr E.A. Spires (compiled the original Roll of Honour in the 1920s) (Creator)
- Foundation Stone : 25/7/1925
- Opened : 14/6/1928
- Opened : 28/6/1929
Thorpe Road/Midland Road
OS Grid Ref.: TL 18491 98694
When the War Memorial Hospital was built in the 1920s, its main entrance was on Midland Road. That core section was erected in the neo-Georgian style, being a two-storey building of red brick, with pantile roof and three tall brick chimney stacks. The ground-floor sash windows had 9 over 9 panels; the upper floor windows had 6 over 6 panels. Above the stone portico of the Midland Road entrance were two recessed niches. The external lintel of that doorway bears the inscription: In Remembrance, 1914-1918. The Midland Road lobby housed the inscribed foundation stone, and a further stone commemorating the opening of the Hospital in 1928. (Construction of the Hospital was not yet complete; the Children's Wing was opened the following year). By 1929 the main building had three pavilions and various other offices, including a wing for the Nurses' Home. (There were two separate outbuildings at the north end of the site, housing the laundry and the mortuary). Within the main building, a three-section bronze plaque was installed, framed by a green marble surround, recording the names of the architect and builder, and listing the major contributors to the building fund for construction of the Hospital. The Board Room housed a glazed mahogany casket, containing the Peterborough Roll of Honour. The site became West Town Primary Academy, a 600 pupil primary school and opened in November 2016, with frontage retained.
Midland Road entrance (external lintel): IN REMEMBRANCE/ 1914 - 1918 Foundation stone: REMEMBRANCE/ GRATITUDE/ 1914-1918/ PETERBOROUGH AND DISTRICT/ THIS STONE WAS LAID BY/ G.C.W. FITZWILLIAM ESQ J.P. D.L./ JULY 25TH 1925 Commemorative stone: THIS HOSPITAL WAS OPENED BY/ FIELD MARSHAL/ SIR WILLIAM ROBERTSON, B.T.,/ G.C.E., G.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., D.S.O.,/ JUNE 14TH 1928 Three-section bronze plaque: THIS HOSPITAL/ WAS ERECTED IN 1928 AT A COST OF £90,000/ BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION FROM/ PETERBOROUGH AND DISTRICT/ AS A WAR MEMORIAL/ UPON THIS SITE WHICH WAS/ GENEROUSLY GIVEN BY/ ALDERMAN J.H. BUNTING/ AT A COST OF £5,500/ Honorary Secretary/ JOSEPH STEPHENSON, O.B.E., F.S.A.A./ Architect Builder/ WALLACE MARCHMENT F.R.I.B.A. ROBERT S. JELLINGS/ SPECIAL DONATIONS TO THE BUILDING FUND/ (List of names of contributors) Roll of Honour casket: THIS CASE/ PRESENTED BY/ WATKINS & STAFFORD LTD/ PETERBOROUGH Roll of Honour: IN SACRED AND LOVING MEMORY OF THE/ 1047 glorious men of PETERBOROUGH who laid down their/ lives in the Great War, 1914-1918, and whose names are recorded/ on this/ ROLL OF HONOUR/ and to whose/ undying fame Memorials have been erected and dedicated at the churches of St John, St Mark,/ St Paul, All Saints, St Augustine, & Barnabas, in the City of Peterborough and at the Parish churches/ of Stanground, Old Fletton, Newark & Werrington. In the Cathedral to the Collegians of St Peter's/ College, & to the Old Boys of King's School. In the Chapels of the United Methodists, at/ Boroughbury & Old Fletton, the Cobden Street Primitive Methodists, the Park Road Baptist/ Church, the Wentworth Street Wesleyans, and the Salvation Army Citadel. In the Deacon's School/ to the Old Boys of the School; outside the Guildhall to the Corporation Employees; outside the/ General Post Office to the Postal Officials, and outside the Head Office of the Co-operative/ Society to the Society's Employees./ (names)
Names on memorial
Abbott, Albert Edward
Adams, Percy William
Adams, Charles Ernest
See details for all 1047 names
First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 1013
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: Surname and first name/initials; many entries also include their address, service number, rank, Regiment/Unit, date/ location/nature of death. Some burial locations are also listed.
Order of information: Alphabetically by surname.
First World War - civilians
Total names on memorial: 1
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: First names and surname, address, date and nature of death
Order of information: Undefined
Measurements: height 600, width 2150
Measurements: height 570, width 960
Measurements: height 570, width 960
Casket / Box
Measurements: depth 340, height 470, width 590
Materials: Wood - Mahogany
Roll of honour
Measurements: depth 10, height 300, width 440
Attended by: G.C.W. Fitzwilliam Esq, J.P., D.L. laid the foundation stone.
Attended by: Field Marshal Sir William Robertson B.T, G.C.E., G.C.M.G., K.C.V.O., D.S.O. ceremonially opened the main War Memorial Hospital.
Attended by: H.R.H. Prince George (later Duke of Kent) opened the Children's Wing of the Hospital.
Comments: Land to the value of £5,500 was donated by Alderman J.H. Bunting for the site of the Hospital.
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Details: The three-section bronze plaque listed the major contributors to the building costs as: The Peterborough Hospital Saturday Fund £10,000 The Soke of Peterborough Red Cross Committee £10,769 The British Red Cross Society £ 3,000 Donors to the Building Fund of £50 and upwards (list of names) Providers of equipment (list of names)
The Peterborough & Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is the custodian of the Roll of Honour in its casket. Peterborough City Council is the current custodian of the bronze plaques etc.
In 1916 a scheme was inaugurated to build a new Hospital in Peterborough, to replace the Infirmary that had stood in Priestgate since 1856, and which was struggling to cope with the needs of the growing population. Fundraising for the project commenced in 1916 but had limited success during the following two years, as people were more inclined to support other charities, such as the British Red Cross and various Funds for wounded servicemen, widows and orphans of the First World War. From 1917 discussions took place as to how Peterborough could best honour the sacrifice of local residents who had died as the consequence of serving in the First World War. Popular opinion was that, rather than commissioning a ceremonial object for this purpose, a new Hospital would serve admirably as both a fitting and practical War memorial. The decision was taken to adopt this scheme so, in January 1919, the Peterborough & District War Memorial Hospital Appeal was formally launched. In 1921 towns and villages within the catchment area of the proposed new War Memorial Hospital were set a quota to raise toward the cost of its construction. When the Hospital was officially opened, on 14/6/1928, a Souvenir Programme was printed, listing the sums that had been raised by each town and village. (In the ensuing years, a service was held each Remembrance Sunday at the entrance to the Hospital, attended by medical staff wearing their First World War medals; a wreath was hung over the door). Peterborough's War Memorial Hospital was administered by a General Committee of Governors until 1948, when it was transferred to the National Health Service. It underwent several renovations in the ensuing years, including the removal of the original fireplaces, and the reconfiguration of internal spaces. To accommodate the growing needs of an expanding population, a large extension to the War Memorial Hospital was built in phases between 1960 and 1968, which required radical alterations to the original building. After the erection of the new building, what remained of the original War Memorial Hospital became known as the Memorial Wing of Peterborough District Hospital. Remembrance services continued to be held each November at the site, which retained its status as Peterborough's official First World War memorial. In 2010 the Peterborough City Hospital opened at Edith Cavell Campus in Bretton Gate, Peterborough, replacing the former Peterborough District Hospital in Thorpe Road/Midland Road, which closed in December 2010. At that time, the bronze plaques and foundation/commemorative stones were removed from the former War Memorial Hospital for safekeeping, pending the redevelopment of the site. The core building of the old War Memorial Hospital in Midland Road is currently undergoing extensive renovation, to form an integral part of a new school being erected on the site. The renovation, which is due for completion in October 2016, will include the reinstatement of the original foundation stone, ceremonial opening stone and bronze plaques from the War Memorial Hospital. Peterborough & Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust remains the custodian of the Roll of Honour and its casket. (The Roll of Honour which is now within the casket is not the original one compiled in the 1920s; that was removed and replaced with a revised version in 1994. The 1994 version omitted some names, amended the details of others, and added names that had not been listed in the original 1920s version. N.B.: Both the 1920s version and the later 1994 version of the Roll of Honour were primarily compiled from information that had been printed in the local newspapers throughout World War 1. As those newspaper reports were often inaccurate regarding names/addresses/Regiments/dates of death etc, it is advisable to be aware that the Roll of Honour likewise contains factual errors).
Our Blog http://ukniwm.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/memorials-to-the-missing-of-fromelles/
Carter Postcard Collection
Peterborough and District Memorial New Hospital Souvenir Programme of Ceremonial Opening Thursday June 14th 1928. (A copy is held by the Peterborough & Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. A copy is also held in the Local Studies and Archives Section at Peterborough Central Library). The programme records the background to the building of the Hospital, including details of fundraising, as well as details of the foundation ceremony and plans etc.
The Peterborough Advertiser: Issue dated 21/2/1920 referred to the fact that Mr E.A. Spires was compiling the original Roll of Honour; Issues dated July 13th and 20th 1928, regarding the opening of the Hospital.
The Peterborough & Hunts Standard: Issue 31/7/1925 (re laying foundation stone); Issue 22/6/1928 (re the opening of the Hospital); Issue 21/6/1929 (re the upcoming opening of the Children's wing); Issue 5/7/1929 (re the opening of the Children's wing).
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
© IWM (WMR-8482)
For queries, please contact email@example.com.