City Hall,Donegal Square,Belfast,Antrim,Antrim,BT1 5GS,Northern Ireland
OS Grid Ref.: NW 461 295
ST PATRICKS BARRACKS,Ballymena,Ballymena,Antrim,Northern Ireland
OS Grid Ref.: Unknown
OBELISK ON TWO-STEPPED PLINTH. CROSS INSCRIBED ABOVE WORDING ON TWO FACES. Royal Ulster Rifles BADGE AT BOTTOM OF OBELISK.
6 O'Clock Face: IN MEMORY OF/ THE OFFICERS AND MEN/ OF/ THE 1ST BATTALION/ THE ROYAL ULSTER RIFLES/WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/IN/ KOREA/ AND ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO WERE KILLED/ NEAR THIS PLACE/ ON/ 3RD - 4TH JANUARY 1951 9 O'Clock Face: THE PEOPLE/ THAT WALKED/ IN DARKNESS/ HAVE SEEN/ A GREAT LIGHT/ (...) 12 O'Clock Face: IN MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF/ THE 45TH FIELD REGIMENT AND THE/ 170TH MORTAR BATTERY/ THE ROYAL ARTILLERY/ who lost their lives/ in/ KOREA/ and especially those who died/ near this place/ on/ 3rd - 4th JANUARY 1951 3 O'Clock Face: (exact wording unknown)
Subject / Period
Korean War (1950-1953)
Total names on memorial: 0
Served and returned: Unknown
Exact count: no
Information shown: Unknown
Order of information: Unknown
Materials: Marble - White
2008: The lettering and badges have been re-blackened and the gold crosses regilded. A new plinth has been added to match the other statues and memorials in the precincts of City Hall. A bronze plaque has been added to the upper plinth with the history of the memorial.
Site: Unknown or N/A
Memorial: Unknown or N/A
Trust fund / scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Unknown or N/A
Details: Unknown or N/A
Unknown or N/A
Following the Battle of Chaegunghyon (also known as the Battle of Happy Valley) in Korea on 3rd and 4th January 1951, 208 officers and men of the Royal Ulster Rifles (RUR) were reported killed wounded or missing. When the RUR were able to return to the valley they buried the dead and erected the memorial near the village of Pulmiji-Ri overlooking the battlefield. The memorial was of local stone, carved by a Korean mason who travelled with the Padre of the battalion. One face of the Memorial is dedicated to the Rifles, one to the gunners of 45 Field Regiment RA and 170 Mortar Battery RA and one to the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars. In 1960 it was recommended that the memorial be repatriated to the UK. It was re-erected at St Patrick's barracks and remained there until the closure of the barracks. It was relocated to the grounds of Belfast City Hall in 2008. PHOTOCOPIES OF TWO OTHER POSSIBLE MEMORIALS ARE ENCLOSED IN THIS FILE; A CLOCK AND A WALL WITH THE CREST OF THE ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSIERS, ROYAL ULSTER RIFLES AND ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS. HOWEVER, NO DETAILS ENCLOSED. ALSO, A GUN BARREL WITH PLAQUE.
War Memorials Trust WM2327 http://www.warmemorials.org/search-grants/?gID=440
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Archive for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this will be included in the record during 2015.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
© IWM (WMA-6601)
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.