Gardeners Of Heligan House
Thunderbox Room in the Gardens
The Lost Gardens of Heligan
OS Grid Ref.: SW 99811 46570
The signatures of the gardeners of Heligan House written in pencil on the lime plaster wall of the Thunderbox Room, the toilet and bothy, above the date 'August 1914'.
Don't come here to sleep or slumber/ August 1914/ (Names) Inscription on 2014 plaque reads: In 2013 The Imperial War Museum recorded this/‘THUNDERBOX ROOM IN THE GARDENS’/as a ‘Living Memorial’ to the/‘GARDENERS OF HELIGAN HOUSE’/(Ref. 63622 in the U.K. National Inventory of War Memorials)/The ongoing restoration is our tribute to their memory.
Names on memorial
First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 20
Served and returned: 4
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,forename,additional
Order of information: Undefined
Materials: Plant Material
Listed by: Historic England
Measurements: height 1m, width 2m
Materials: Stone, Slate, Wood, Plaster
Measurements: height 28cm, width 24cm
Materials: Cast Iron
Date: 09 November 2014
Attended by: Heligan staff, relatives of men, Friends of Heligan
2016: Original signatures on memorial remain after a century but are now mostly illegible. 2014: New plaque installed outside memorial, following extended research into Heligan’s connection with WW1. 1990: Discovery of Thunderbox Room by John Nelson and Tim Smit in derelict and totally overgrown area of the Gardens. Followed by structural restoration and return to full function – a Living Memorial to past staff.
Site: Unknown or N/A
Memorial: Unknown or N/A
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Details: Unknown or N/A
Heligan Gardens Ltd
The Lost Gardens of Heligan encompasses 200 acres. The gardens were rediscovered in 1990 and have been restored as 'a living memorial to those who worked in the gardens before the Great War'. In 1914, the maximum staff employed was 23. Research shows that nine of the garden staff died in the war. Of these, one, Albert Rowe, retains a legible signature in the Thunderbox Room. By 1917 the garden staff were reduced to seven. Heligan House was offered by Squire John Claude Lewis Tremayne for use as an Auxiliary Hospital for the Royal Flying Corps. Heligan was the seat of the Tremayne family. Events organised by the Lost Gardens of Heligan to commemorate the First World War include: 2016: ‘Remembering Seven Local Men Lost on The Somme’ – a ceremony and exhibition in a field of Flanders poppies, incorporating detailed battlefield research donated by Lord John Hutton, former Secretary of State for Defence. 2014: Community performance ‘100: The Day Our World Changed’ by WildWorks Theatre. 2008: Publication of research and exhibition of lenticulars by Michele Noach. 1998: Ice Sculpture Exhibition of Lost Gardeners by Heather Keir-Cross and local search for their relatives.
Heligan: Heligan History Centenary Edition: Remembering Lost Men 2014 (ISBN : 978-1-900270-05-02) published Heligan Gardens Ltd
Other website http://heligan.com/the-story
Our Blog http://ukniwm.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/lost-gardeners/
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
© IWM (WMR-63622)
For queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.