Shackleford And Peper Harow

WM reference
23675
Memorial type
Lost
No
Town
County
District
Subject/Period
Creator
Ceremony
  • Unveiled : 06 November 1921
  • Dedicated : 06 November 1921
  • Rededicated : 14 November 2004
Current location

Outside St Marys Church
Corner Elstead Rd And Shackleford Rd
Shackleford
Guildford
Surrey
England
OS Grid Ref.: SU 940 449
Denomination: Undefined

Description

Plain cross with plinth and base. Inscription and names on tablets affixed to plinth. Low wall around the cross on which are the Second World War tablets.

Inscription

BASE ALL SIDES: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF SHACKLEFORD AND PEPER HAROW WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES N THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919./ (NAMES) SIDES AND BACK: (NAMES) BASE FRONT: THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE TABLETS ON WALL: 1939-1945/ (NAMES)

Inscription legible?

Yes

Names on memorial

Bias, J
Duke, J
Edwards, F A
Edwards, H
Elson, A
Fairtlough, G
Fairtlough, F H
Fry, A E
Fry, W P
Hawker, R
See details for all 23 names

Subject/Period

First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 23
Served and returned: 0
Died: 23
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,decorations
Order of information: surname

Subject/Period

Second World War (1939-1945)
Total names on memorial: 5
Served and returned: 0
Died: 5
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,decorations
Order of information: surname

Component

Cross
Condition: Good
Measurements: Undefined
Materials: Stone - Doulting
Listed?: No

Component

Plinth
Condition: Good
Measurements: Undefined
Materials: Stone - Doulting
Listed?: No

Component

Base
Condition: Good
Measurements: Undefined
Materials: Stone - Bargate
Listed?: No

Component

Wall
Condition: Good
Measurements: Undefined
Materials: Stone - York
Listed?: No

Component

Tablets
Condition: Good
Measurements: Undefined
Materials: Undefined
Listed?: No

Ceremony

Unveiled
Date: 06 November 1921
Attended by: RELATIVES/FRIENDS OF THE FALLEN

Ceremony

Dedicated
Date: 06 November 1921
Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries

Ceremony

Rededicated
Date: 14 November 2004
Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries

History

1939: Lettering on the memorial was filled in as a precaution to hide the names during WW2 1946: Lettering was restored in January 1950: WW2 names added to the memorial 1960's: Some repair work carried out but nature of repairs is unknown 2004: Refurbishment at a cost of c. £4,000 as First World War names eroded. The six panels were replaced with handcut letters in York stone. The details were copied as they appeared originally on the memorial except that the names of the regiments and one surname were written in full.

Costs

Site: Free
Memorial: Unknown or N/A
Comments: Site was given by Col G R Hadaway J.P. (Royal Artillery) of Grenville. Bargate stone was provided by the Earl of Midleton

Trust fund/Scholarship

No
Purpose: Unknown or N/A

Sponsorship

Unknown or N/A
Details: Unknown or N/A

Responsibility of

Shackleford Parish Council A charitable trust was set up in to erect the memorial and the site was acquired by Goldalming Rural Parish Council in February 1922. Following the creation of new parished in 1933 the war memorial was conveyed to Shackleford

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Register for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this information will be displayed on the memorial record. Please check back as we are adding more names to the database.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© IWM (WMR-23675)

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.