Wykehamists - WW1 And WW2

Our reference
22015
Memorial type
Lost
No
Town
County
District
Subject/Period
Creator
Ceremony
  • Dedicated : 15 July 1922
  • Foundation Stone : 15 July 1922
  • Opened : 31 May 1924
  • Dedicated : 31 May 1924
  • Rededicated : 14 November 1948

Current location

Winchester College,College St,Winchester,Winchester,Hampshire,SO23 9NA,England
OS Grid Ref.: SU 482 288
Denomination: Unknown

Description

CLOISTER OF PORTLAND STONE WITH COLUMNS AND TABLETS OF HOPTON WOOD MARBLE. ROOF OF OAK WITH COTSWOLD STONE SHINGLES. AT EACH CORNER OF THE CLOISTER THE COLUMNS MEET IN DOMED TEMPLES EACH CONTAINING A HUGE CIRCULAR PAVING SLAB; GRANITE FROM THE BASE OF TABLE MOUNTAIN IN SOUTH AFRICA, SYENITE FROM NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA, MARBLE FROM BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA AND BLACK MARBLE FROM INDIA. WITHIN THE CLOISTER IS A GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE WITH A CENTRAL MEMORIAL WHEEL CROSS. CROSS SURMOUNTS OCTAGONAL STONE COLUMN WHICH IN TURN STANDS ATOP AN OCTAGONAL PLINTH. THREE-STEPPED STONE BASE. Tablets embedded in the wall either side of an arch with Latin inscriptions commemorating the laying of the foundation stone and the opening of the War Cloister. ROUND THE GARTH IN SPACES BETWEEN THE ARCHES ARE ARMS AND BADGES OF 120 units, in which Old Wykehamists served in WW1. On the oak struts of the roof over the arches, are badges of four regiments closely associated with Winchester, supported by figures of angels. The regiments are: The Rifle Brigade, King's Royal Rifle Corps, The Hampshire Regt and the Royal Artillery. Sixteen WW1 name tablets in pairs are headed by the year in which the fallen came to Winchester, and are divided by tablets with the names of battles or campaigns, which are headed: ON THE SEAS; FRANCE FLANDERS (four panels); GALLIPOLI/ MACEDONIA/ ITALY/ MURMAN/ ARCHANGEL (one panel); EGYPT/ PALESTINE/ MESOPOTAMIA (one panel); TSING-TAU/ SIBERIA/ N.W.FRONTIER INDIA/ BALUCHISTAN/ PERSIA/ ADEN/ E.AFRICA/ S.W.AFRICA/ CAMEROONS (one panel). These are all on the inside walls, and the WW2 names are on twelve tablets on the outer walls.

Inscription

(In a continuous band round cloister:) THANKS BE TO GOD FOR THE SERVICE OF THESE FIVE HUNDRED WYKEHAMISTS, WHO WERE FOUND FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH AMID THE MANIFOLD CHANCES OF THE GREAT WAR. IN THE DAY OF BATTLE THEY FORGAT (sic) NOT GOD, WHO CREATED THEM TO DO HIS WILL, NOR THEIR COUNTRY, THE STRONGHOLD OF FREEDOM, NOR THEIR SCHOOL, THE MOTHER OF GODLINESS AND DISCIPLINE. STRONG IN THIS THREEFOLD FAITH THEY WENT FORTH FROM HOME AND KINDRED TO THE BATTLEFIELDS OF THE WORLD AND, TREADING THE PATH OF DUTY AND SACRIFICE, LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR MANKIND. THOU, THEREFORE, FOR WHOM THEY DIED, SEEK NOT THINE OWN, BUT SERVE AS THEY SERVED, AND IN PEACE OR IN WAR BEAR THYSELF EVER AS CHRIST'S SOLDIER, GENTLE IN ALL THINGS, VALIANT IN ACTION, STEADFAST IN ADVERSITY. Tablet two ( WW2 dedication): VIA HAEC/ IAMPRIDEM MEMORIAE/ WICCAMICORUM SACRA/ QUI PRO PATRIA/ DIMICANTES OCCUBERUNT/ ITERUM SACRATA EST/ AD XVIII KAL DEC MCMXLVIII/ EORUM ADIECTIS NOMINIBUS/ QUI EADEM SEQUENTES SIGNA/ BELLO PERIERUNT ALTERO/ SUPPLICAVIT/ MERVYN EPISCOPUS WINTON/ CONTIONATUS EST/ ARCHIBALD COMES WAVELL Tablet three:HERE/ IN EQUAL HONOUR/ FACING THE NAMES OF THE FALLEN IN THE/ FIRST WORLD WAR/ ARE INSCRIBED/ THOSE OF THE TWO/ HUNDRED & SEVENTY/ WYKEHAMISTS/ WHO DIED SERVING/ IN THE SAME FAITH/ 1939 - 1945/ If our time be come/ let us die/ manfully for our brethren/ and let us/ not stain our honour. Tablet four (Foundation stone): LAPIDEM IN(?) CLAUSTRO AD(?) FULCIENDAM CRUCEM/ POSITUM CUM SUPPLICATIONE ET CONCENTO MULI:/ :TORUM CONTIONATO EDWARDO VICECOMITE/ GREY DE FALLODON: ID: QUINCT: A.D. MCMXXII/ DEDICAVIT GULIELMUS ANDREWES FEARON:/ S:T:P: COLLEGII HUIUSCE OLIM INFORMATOR Tablet five (WW1 Dedication): VIAM SACRAM PRID:KAL:IUN: MCMXXIV PATE-/ -FECIT PRINCEPS HONORATISSIMUS PATRUUS REGIS/ ARTURUS DUX DE CONNAUGHT: DEDICAVIT/ EDWARDUS TALBOT S:T:P: EPISCOPUS WINTON: EMERITUS: COLLAUDAVIT EDWARDUS VICECOMES/ GREY DE FALLODON: A CELEBERRIMO WICCAMICORUM/ CONVENT REDDITAE SUNT DEO GRATES WW1 names: Each group of six tablets is headed CAME TO WINCHESTER, followed by the year and names, commencing in 1868. The penultimate panel, ending in 1913, continues with DIED SINCE THE WAR in italics, followed by five names. The last tablet is headed ASSISTANT MASTER, followed by one name, and then QUIRISTERS, followed by six names. (Quiristers are choirboys of Winchester College). WW2 names: The tablets are headed with years only, starting with 1913, and followed by names. On the last tablet, the last year, 1938, is followed by ASSISTANT MASTER (one name) QUIRISTERS (Three names) and REPORTED SINCE THE WAR (Six names) Craftsmen's stone built into wall in north-east corner of cloister: IN AEDIFICIO COMMUNITER LABORAVERUNT ARCHITECTUS, HERBERTUS BAKER: SCULPTORES, ALFREDUS TURNER, CAROLUS WHEELER: SIGNORUM INVENTOR, KRUGER GRAY: ARTIFEX AC PICTOR, LAURENTIUS TURNER: AEDIFICATOR, HENRICUS HOLLOWAY: MAGISTER OPERUM, ALBERTUS CLARKE. NON SIBI SED DEO ET MORTUIS (Trans: Not for thee, but for God and the Dead). (Line breaks unknown)

Inscription legible?

Yes

Subject / Period

VC or GC Winners
Total names on memorial: 0
Served and returned: Unknown
Died: 3
Exact count: no
Information shown: Unknown
Order of information: Unknown

Subject / Period

Second World War (1939-1945)
Total names on memorial: 270
Served and returned: 0
Died: 270
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,place of death,forename,additional,decorations
Order of information: additional,surname

Subject / Period

First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 500
Served and returned: 0
Died: 500
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname,rank,regiment,place of death,forename,additional
Order of information: additional,surname,rank

Component

Cross
Condition: Good
Measurements: Unknown
Materials: Stone - Portland
Listed?: No

Component

Garden
Condition: Good
Measurements: Unknown
Materials: Unknown
Listed?: No

Component

Roof
Condition: Good
Measurements: Unknown
Materials: Wood - Oak
Listed?: No

Component

Tablets
Condition: Good
Measurements: Unknown
Materials: Stone - Hopton Wood
Listed?: No

Ceremony

Dedicated
Date: 15 July 1922
Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries

Ceremony

Foundation Stone
Date: 15 July 1922
Attended by: UNKNOWN

Ceremony

Opened
Date: 31 May 1924
Attended by: FM HRH Prince Arthur Duke of Connaught KG

Ceremony

Dedicated
Date: 31 May 1924
Attended by: Local Clergy/Dignitaries

Ceremony

Rededicated
Date: 14 November 1948
Attended by: Bishop of Winchester

History

24 March 1950:Listed Grade II (ID 144541)

Costs

Site: Unknown or N/A
Memorial: £65,000
Comments: The original plan had been also to build a Hall, but inflation prevented this.

Trust fund / scholarship

Yes
Purpose: Grants for families of the fallen.

Sponsorship

Unknown or N/A
Details: Unknown or N/A

Responsibility of

WINCHESTER COLLEGE

Notes

VC Winners were: Lt Col C H M Doughty-Wylie; 2Lt D G W Hewitt; Capt A F G Kilby. 'The Wykehamist' Nos 625, 626 (1922), 648 and Supplement (16 June 1924) J d'E Firth: Winchester College (Winchester: P and G Wells Ltd, 1967) pp. 221-229; 240-241.

Reference

Carter Postcard Collection

Reference

AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN: BRITISH FIRST WORLD WAR MEMORIALS by BOORMAN, DEREK p.14 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:SESSIONS 1988 YORK

Reference

BRITISH PUBLIC SCHOOLS WAR MEMORIALS by KERNOT, C F pp. 80-83 Source: Image Library NIWM Published:ROBERTS AND NEWTON 1927 LONDON

Reference

Buildings of England series by Various 'Hampshire: Winchester and the North' (2010) pp.653-654.

Reference

The Times 17 July 1922 p.16 Dedication of the foundation stone by the Rev. Dr W A Fearon, DD (1841-1924), Headmaster 1884-1901, in the presence of Lord Grey of Falloden, an old Wykehamist and former Foreign Secretary, who gave a speech.

Reference

The Times 30 May 1924 p.17 'A Via Sacra: Winchester College War Memorial' Detailed description of the memorial.

Reference

The Times 2 June 1924 p.9 Account of opening and dedication of War Cloister. The dedication was performed by Bishop Talbot (1844-1934), who had been Bishop of Winchester 1911-1923. Includes 'An Appreciation', by Lady Laura Ridding. Lady Laura (1849-1939) was a daughter of the 1st Earl of Selborne and widow of George Ridding (1828-1904), Headmaster of Winchester College 1867-1884, after which he became the first Bishop of Southwell. She helped to found the National Union of Women Workers in 1895, and has been described as a suffragist and philanthropist. Among her books was a biography of her nephew, Capt The Hon. R S A Palmer, died in Mesopotamia in 1916, which was published in 1921.

Reference

The Times 15 Nov. 1948 p.7 Report of rededication of War Cloister, in the presence of FM Lord Wavell , an old Wykehamist, who gave an address. (A copy of the address is in the file.)

This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Archive for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this will be included in the record during 2015.

This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.

This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:

© IWM (WMA-22015)

For queries, please contact memorials@iwm.org.uk.