St Werburghs Church - WW1 Figure
St Werburghs Church
On the West wall of the remains of the 1699 church.
Cheapside Near Junction With Friar Gate
OS Grid Ref.: SK 349 363
Denomination: Church of England
A wall mounted cast bronze figure of Christ with his arms outstretched surmounting a plaque. The bow fronted plaque has a relief at the head with six wings surrounding a cherub's face and a Latin cross at the centre with names in raised upright lettering in two columns.
REMEMBER 1914-1918/ (Names)/ BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS
Subject / Period
First World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial: 47
Served and returned: 0
Exact count: yes
Information shown: surname
Order of information: surname
Date: 18 February 1923
Attended by: Maj Gen Sir Arthur Reginald Hoskins KCB CMG DSO
The church lies in the Friar Gate Conservation Area. c1980: Moved to the 1699 part of the church when the nave was secularised. 20 June 1952: The church was listed Grade II*, Heritage List for England reference 1287685. 1921: Originally mounted on the first pillar of the nave, to the right of the main door.
Site: Unknown or N/A
Memorial: Unknown or N/A
Trust fund / scholarship
Purpose: Unknown or N/A
Unknown or N/A
Details: Unknown or N/A
The Churches Conservation Trust.
Derby Daily Telegraph 3/ 2 February 1923 Description of memorial.
Derby Daily Telegraph 2/ 12 February 1923 Report of imminent unveiling with description of memorial.
Derby Daily Telegraph 4/ 19 February 1923 Report of unveiling with biographical name list.
This record comprises all information held by IWM’s War Memorials Archive for this memorial. Where we hold a names list for the memorial, this will be included in the record during 2015.
This information is made available under a Creative Commons BY-NC licence.
This means you may reuse it for non-commercial purposes only and must attribute it to us using the following statement:
© IWM (WMA-19014)
For queries, please contact email@example.com.