War Story is IWM's Ministry of Defence-supported initiative to collect material relating to the war in Afghanistan. We want to record Operation Herrick from the perspective of British Service Personnel and their families.
Material collected by the War Story Project will join the IWM’s permanent Collection and be used now and in the future for:
- Research and information
- Exhibitions and displays
- Museum publications including learning resources for schools
- Digital and online content
If you or a member of your family is, or has, served on Operation Herrick we need your help.
Once registered, you will be able to directly upload material including digital photos, videos and emails. Or you can suggest other donations directly to the War Story Team including pieces of kit or mementoes from your experience.
Your War Story
We are asking you to share your experience of Operation Herrick through everyday items you used in Afghanistan – tell us your story and we’ll make sure it’s on record for the future.
You are living history
Despite dominating the headlines and being ongoing for over 10 years we still know very little about the war in Afghanistan experienced by British Service Personnel and your families.
IWM has been collecting since the First World War. We want to build a collection of the experiences of war in Afghanistan, which we will use in our research, publications and displays to tell your story both now and in the future.
To see one of the ways we are already using the material we have collected through the project visit our latest War Story display, War Story: Afghanistan 2014 at IWM London.
Register now and you will be able to upload digital photos, videos and emails and suggest donations directly to the War Story Team.
War Story would like to know:
- How did you prepare to go on operations?
- What were your first impressions of Afghanistan?
- What was your accommodation (PB/FOB) like – how did you sleep, eat and wash?
- What did you think of your uniform and equipment?
- What was your day-to-day job?
- How did you stay in touch with family?
- What was it like working with other nations and organisations including NATO, ANA, AMP, NGOs, Aid Agencies?
- What were your thoughts and feelings about returning home?
- How did you adjust after deployment?
- What is it like to have a loved one on deployment?
War Story would like to collect:
We’d like to collect any items of kit, communications you have written or received, blogs or video diaries you have made – anything that tells your story of your experience of Operation Herrick. This includes:
- Emails to and from friends and family
- Letters/Postcards/Blueys/eBlueys (sent and received)
- Video Diaries
- Travel Documents
- Aide Memoires
- Unit insignia
- Books you read
- Magazines, your iPhone/iPod play list, your favourite video games
- Gifts or goods you return with
- Names of places within FOBs and temporary ‘street’ signs that mean something to your Unit
We are also looking for films, art and photography, poems and short stories you may have been inspired to create to add to our collections.
If you have any questions or would like more information about the project please contact the War Story Team at email@example.com