Volunteering with IWM North
Volunteers play a vital role at IWM North. We currently have over 60 wonderful volunteers working regularly on our galleries in a variety of roles.
- Help visitors find their way around our unique building, answer visitor queries about the exhibitions and promote the daily events programme
- Deliver short artefact handling sessions
- Run the ‘Your History’ area, providing computer access to IWM collections and answering queries about military history and tracing military ancestry
- Check tickets on entry to the Special Exhibition
- Get involved in evening events and private views to launch new exhibitions
We are fully subscribed for volunteers at the moment. Watch this space for future seasonal opportunities.
if: Volunteering for wellbeing 2013 – 2016
From October 2013 – December 2016 IWM North and Manchester Museum delivered a volunteering, training and placement programme across 10 heritage venues in Greater Manchester. The project if: Volunteering for wellbeing, or Inspiring futures (if) for short, can be viewed as an exemplar in partnership working to tackle wellbeing inequalities.
The project trained and supported 260 participants to gain work experience, new skills, and improved health and wellbeing.
Evaluation demonstrated significant improvements in participants’ mental and emotional health. It has led to improvements in their creativity, aspiration, life satisfaction, and social connections, and led to reductions in stress. To read about the success of the programme and read our evaluation report please visit www.volunteeringforwellbeing.org.uk .
if: Volunteering for wellbeing is made possible through a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.