Search Our Collections
- Great Britain GB
- Germany (pre 1945 and post 1990) DE
- Home Waters
- Northern Ireland, UK
- United Kingdom
- Arras, Pas-de-Calais, France
- Atlantic Ocean
- Attilly, Aisne, France
- Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, England, UK
- Cambrai, Nord, France
- Chemical Works, Roeux, Pas-de-Calais, France
- Doullens, Somme, France
- Enfield, Middlesex, England, UK
- Le Bac-du-Sud, Doullens Road, Doullens, Somme, France
- Loch Alsh, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, UK
- North Sea
- Roeux, Pas-de-Calais, France
- Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield
- Umbrella Hill, Gaza, Palestine
- Western Front, First World War
- Naval Operations, First World War
- British Military Operations 1969-, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Home Front, UK, Second World War
- Battles of Arras 1917, Allied Offensives 1917, Western Front, First World War
- Last Hundred Days 1918, Final Allied Offensives 1918, Western Front, First World War
- Naval Operations, Second World War
- Third Battle of Gaza 1917, Battles of Gaza, Egypt and Palestine 1915-1918, Ottoman Empire, First World War
- British Army
- British Army, Royal Army Veterinary Corps
- Royal Ulster Constabulary
- British Army, 190th Brigade
- British Army, 63rd Division
- British Army, Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)
- British Army, London Regiment, 28th (County of London) Battalion (Artists' Rifles)
- British Army, Machine Gun Corps
- British Army, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
- Royal Navy, L3 (HMS), submarine
- Royal Navy, MACKENZIE (HMS), trawler
- Royal Navy, ML 558, motor launch
- Royal Navy, SOUTHERN PRINCE (HMS)
- Ulster Volunteer Force
- Military Personnel
- portrait / personification
- trench / defences
- munitions / manufacture
- wounded / disabled
- civilian effort
- military suffering
- military vehicles
- peace / victory celebrations
- supplies / provisions
(art) Made by: Walker, Ray 1981
Art.IWM ART 15444
image: a detailed study for the lower half of panel three of Ray Walker's triptych 'Army Recruitment'. It incorporates a variety of images relating to experiences of active service in the British Army. These include the head of a dead...
(art) Made by: Nash, John
Art.IWM ART 3921
image: a night scene inside the trench of an advanced post with four British infantrymen on duty, all posed with their backs to the viewer. Two stand at the bottom of the trench, while the others sit and lean higher up on firesteps on the parapet,...
(art) Made by: Bomberg, David 1942
Art.IWM ART LD 2119
image: View across an underground bomb-store showing the bomb-racks and the cave-like interior.
(art) Made by: Bone, Muirhead
Art.IWM ART LD 755
image: sailors guide large spherical mines along a metal runway towards an open hatch that looks out to sea. A Royal Navy officer stands on the right, supervising.
(art) Made by: Rose, Geoffrey K 1917-05-02
Art.IWM ART 4880
image: a view along a railway track, which runs through a narrow man-made valley bordered by steep earth banks. British soldiers are gathered along the left bank, with men sitting on the ground amongst equipment and stacked rifles.
(art) Made by: Dodd, Francis 1940
Art.IWM ART LD 108
image: In the foreground there is a man in a white coat sitting at a workbench working with a lathe. Behind him are five men working in a row. Two are looking downwards and working with hammers. The other three are examining gun barrels by holding them...
(art) Made by: Dodd, Francis 1918-12-01
Art.IWM ART 1114
image: a back view of a figure in a hooded outfit, standing by a deck gun.
(art) Made by: Kennington, Eric Henri
Art.IWM ART 5210
image: a full length portrait of a British infantryman in full kit, with his rifle shouldered and inspecting something in his left hand, which he raises up towards his face.
(art) Made by: Kennington, Eric Henri
Art.IWM ART 5211
image: a full length portrait of a British infantryman with his back to the viewer, wearing full kit.
(art) Made by: Orpen, William 1917
Art.IWM ART 2395
image: A sketch of a British soldier sitting dejectedly. He wears full kit, holds his head in hands and has his rifle leaning on his left knee.