Search Our Collections
- London, England, UK
- Reading, Berkshire, England, UK
- Wood Green, Middlesex, England, UK
- Boston, Lincolnshire, England, UK
- Chelsea, London, England, UK
- Kabul, Afghanistan
- Maidstone, Kent, England, UK
- Oswestry, Shropshire, England, UK
- Guildford, Surrey, England, UK
- Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England, UK
- Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, UK
- Durham, County Durham, England, UK
- Eltham, London, England, UK
- England, UK
- Exeter, Devon, England, UK
- Guernsey, Channel Islands, UK
- Leeds, West Riding, Yorkshire, England, UK
- Paris, France
- Silvertown, Essex, England, UK
- Thames (River), England, UK
- Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England, UK
- Bournemouth, Hampshire, England, UK
- Canterbury, Kent, England, UK
- Cardiff, Glamorganshire, Wales, UK
- Czech Republic
- Devon, England, UK
- Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey, England, UK
- Knightsbridge, London, England, UK
- Plymouth, Devon, England, UK
- Home Front, UK, Second World War
- British Operations in Afghanistan from 2002
- Blitz, United Kingdom, Second World War
- Home Front, France, Second World War
- Liberation of Guernsey 1945, North West Europe, Second World War
- Occupation of the Channel Islands 1940-1945, North West Europe, Second World War
- Abyssinia 1940-1941, Second World War
- V-Weapon Offensive 1944-1945, United Kingdom, Second World War
- Towns and Cities
- Daily Life
- Bomb Damage
- Rest & Relaxation
- Civil Defence
- Art and Culture
part of "THE ROAD TO WAR" (photographs)
A group of women chat in the street outside the Kreuzbrunnen Colonnade in Marienbad, Bohemia.
A busy scene showing shoppers going about their daily business on Silver Street in Durham. On the left, the clothing store 'Burton' can be seen. In the background, at the end of the street is the Castle Hotel and a shop named 'W Duncan...
Cattle are weighed on the weighbridge at Thame market. They are then inspected by graders who decide if the cattle are fat or lean. Cars can be seen parked in the background.
A general view of the busy Broad Street in Reading, showing vehicles and pedestrians going about their daily business. A female cyclist can be seen to the right of the photograph. According to the original caption "in the foreground, beer barrels...
Pedestrians and vehicles go about their daily business on Brompton Road, London. This photograph was taken looking towards Knightsbridge, with Harrods visible on the right. The stepped kerbs visible on the left of the photograph have been painted in...
A young girl steps into the road as she struggles with her full shopping basket. In her attempt to stop the loaf of bread from falling out of the basket, she hasn't noticed the cars approaching behind her.
After lunch, Mrs Day sets out to do her weekly shop on the King's Road in Chelsea. She walks past several women with prams and a member of the RAF as they queue to the left of a large furniture store. The shop has furniture displayed on the street...
Farm workers inspect the goods for sale on this agricultural tool stall at Sevenoaks market. Run by Alan G Smith of Gravesend, items on this stall include brushes of various sizes, rope and pitchforks.
A view down Briggate in Leeds, showing men and women going about their business, with the shop 'Burton's' clearly visible on the corner. A banner stretches across the road, advertising a free exhibition of Daily Express war photographs...
Sheep are herded down a busy, rainy High Street in Oswestry, Shropshire. The original caption describes this as "a typical market day scene". Cars line the street, and shoppers go about their business under the shelter of their umbrellas.