Search Our Collections
- Great Britain GB
- Palestine (British Mandate and Occupied Territories) PI
- Jerusalem, Palestine
- Jordan (River), Palestine
- Romani, Egypt
- Egypt EG
- Wadi Ghuzze, Palestine
- Damascus, Syria
- Gaza, Palestine
- Homs, Syria
- Jericho, Palestine
- Mahemdia, Egypt
- Jordan Valley, Palestine
- Nebi Samuel, Palestine
- Sinai Desert, Egypt
- Turkey TR
- Arsuf, Palestine
- Beersheba, Palestine
- Ghoraniyeh, Palestine
- Hama, Syria
- Jezreel Valley, Palestine
- Kantara, Egypt
- Egypt and Palestine 1915-1918, Ottoman Empire, First World War
- First World War
- Capture and Defence of Jerusalem 1917, Egypt and Palestine 1915-1918, Ottoman Empire, First World War
- Mesopotamia 1914-1918, Ottoman Empire, First World War
- Third Battle of Gaza 1917, Battles of Gaza, Egypt and Palestine 1915-1918, Ottoman Empire, First World War
- British Army
- Australian Army, Australian Light Horse
- British Army, Royal Artillery
- Indian Army
- IMPERIAL CAMEL CORPS
- British Army, Royal Engineers
- Turkish Army
- Australian Army, Australian Light Horse, 14th Regiment
- British Army, Egyptian Labour Corps
- British Army, Imperial Camel Corps
- Royal Navy
- Australian Army
- British Army, 156th Brigade
- British Army, 52nd Division
- British Army, Army Veterinary Service
- British Army, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
- British Army, Corps of Military Police
- British Army, Pioneer Corps
- British Army, Royal Army Medical Corps
- British Army, Royal Flying Corps
- British Army, Seaforth Highlanders
- EG.O & Labour Corps
- McBey, James
- Royal Air Force, Royal Flying Corps
- Military Personnel
- military buildings / installations
- military engineering
- trench / defences
- military vehicles
- Bomb Damage
- eating / drinking
- medical / convalescence
- surrender / retreat
- war debris
- empire / commonwealth
- military manoeuvres
- military suffering
- Natural phenomena / time / weather
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1917-07-10
Art.IWM ART 1424
image: a view across the Egyptian landscape near Ismailia. In the right foreground is a small cluster of trees, with an Egyptian man with a horse and cart standing near to what appears to be a camp to the left. In the distance a Royal Navy warship sails...
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1917-07-05
Art.IWM ART 1413
image: a view of a large ship in the Suez Canal on a pitch black night, the scene only illuminated by a small searchlight beam from the deck of the ship onto a patch of water.
Romani. Mount Meredith : the southern side of the ridge. Sand bagged graves of the Australian Light Horse are on the near slope, and on the further end the Turks lie buried.
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1917-10-10
Art.IWM ART 1502
image: a view of the arid landscape near Romani, with the steep-sided peak of Mount Meredith in the middle ground. A few graves are marked in the foreground, with one marked with a cross to the left.
The Good Samaritan Inn, Talaat-ed-Dumm : halfway between Jericho and Jerusalem. The furthest hill with the trees on top is Mount Scopus
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1918-05-08
Art.IWM ART 1542
image: a troop of Indian Lancers on horseback advance towards the viewer along a dusty road, passing the derelict inn. The road runs through a valley and there are further hills in the background.
The Dead Sea : on the northern shore of the Dead Sea: moonlight. Patrols embarking in motor-boats to reconnoitre the Turkish forces holding the east bank of the Jordan and the Moab Mountains.
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1918-03-23
Art.IWM ART 1534
image: a party of British soldiers clamber onto a small motorboat on the northern edge of the Dead Sea at night. In the immediate foreground is another boat on the beach, placed upside-down on the ground. Another boat already loaded with troops is in the...
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1917-10-29
Art.IWM ART 1508
image: a British Army officer leans on a low wall looking out over the flat and largely featureless landscape towards distant flashes of artillery fire on the horizon.
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1919-01-01
Art.IWM ART 1592
image: a view of an old stone bridge that arches over a river with rocky banks. A column of mounted troops has just passed over the bridge and moves on towards a narrow gap in a range of green hills. There are some barbed wire defences in the immeidate...
The Old Road to Jericho : a view of the Jordan Valley from the top of the last descent of the mountain road which overhangs the Wadi Kelt. The town of Es Salt is on the top of the Hills of Gilead, in line with Jericho.
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1918-05-01
Art.IWM ART 1537
image: a view from a descending mountain road, with three mounted soldiers moving down it in the left foreground. There is a small stone structure on the bank beside them, in the centre of the composition. Beyond is a view into the Jordan Valley, with...
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1918-10-30
Art.IWM ART 1576
image: infantrymen of the Seaforth Highlanders sit and rest along a narrow road that runs across the composition. Further back can be seen the buildings and roofs of the town of Tyre, with the sea visible beyond.
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1917-07-23
Art.IWM ART 1432
image: several wounded soldiers and attending personnel lie and sit on the deck of a boat on the way to hospital at Port Said. To the right four men lie on stretchers, all of them with bandaged heads. In the centre a man in khaki shorts lies on his side...