Search Our Collections
- Great Britain GB
- Germany (pre 1945 and post 1990) DE
- Burma BU
- Caen, Calvados, France
- Gold Beach, Le Hamel
- Hospice, Wytschaete, West Flanders, Belgium
- India IN
- Jerusalem, Palestine
- Le Hamel, Calvados, France
- Marcoing, Nord, France
- Passchendaele, West Flanders, Belgium
- Rathedaung, Burma
- Welsh Ridge, Marcoing, Nord, France
- Wytschaete, West Flanders, Belgium
- Western Front, First World War
- Second World War
- Action of Welsh Ridge, Western Front, First World War
- Caen 1944, North West Europe, Second World War
- D-Day, Normandy Landings 1944, North West Europe, Second World War
- Egypt and Palestine 1915-1918, Ottoman Empire, First World War
- Rathedaung 1942-1943, Burma 1942-1945, Second World War
- British Army
- Blanchard, H
- British Army, 190th Brigade
- British Army, 21st Army Group
- British Army, 63rd Division
- British Army, London Regiment, 28th Battalion
- British Army, Tank Corps
- German Army (Third Reich)
- Hitler, Adolf
- Imperial German Army
- Indian Army, 14th Indian Division
- Indian Army, 55th Indian Infantry Brigade
- Indian Army, 6th Rajputana Rifles, 8th Battalion
- British Army 1914-1918
- Western Front 1914-1918
- British Army 1939-1945
- Normandy Landings 1944
- North West Europe 1944-1945
- Burma 1942-1945
- Combined Operations and Landing Craft 1940-1945
- Egypt, Palestine and Arabia 1914-1918
- Indian Army 1939-1945
- Nazi Europe
- Royal Naval Division 1914-1918
- Tanks and Armoured Fighting Vehicles 1914-1918
- Military Personnel
- Bomb Damage
- trench / defences
- artist's response
- war debris
- military suffering
- Natural phenomena / time / weather
- wounded / disabled
- medical / convalescence
- military vehicles
- portrait / personification
- surrender / retreat
(art) Made by: Heath, J C 1944-06-06
Art.IWM ART LD 4280
image: Two rows of injured British soldiers lie on the ground or on strechers in the shade of a small hillock surrounded by camouflage nets. Others sit with their arms in slings and their heads bandaged. One of the men is being given a drip by two others...
(art) Made by: Bone, Stephen 1944
Art.IWM ART LD 5793
image: a view along a street in Caen which has been almost wholly demolished. Large piles of rubble lie amongst ruined facades of buildings along either side of the road. In the foreground there is a small area marked with three wooden crosses with...
The Defences of Jerusalem : deep trenches extending for miles and blasted in the solid rock guard the road all the way from Kastul - the peak on the horizon, from which the road by hairpin bends descends to Kolonieth before rising to Jerusalem
(art) Made by: McBey, James 1917-12-22
Art.IWM ART 1526
image: a view along a deep trench from above, with two British soldiers and an officer tending to three graves on the right, which are just before a mound of earth and stone on the parapet of the trench. Between this mound and another similar one on the...
(art) Made by: Nash, John 1918
Art.IWM ART 3907
image: a squared up preparatory drawing for the oil painting 'Over the Top' (IWM ART 1656). On the left, a red earth trench lined with duckboards stretches away from the viewer. A group of soldiers clamber from the trench, going 'over the...
(art) Made by: Gross, Anthony 1944
Art.IWM ART LD 3683
image: an Indian soldier lies dead with his arms above his head in the thick undergrowth of the jungle. His Bren gun and helmet lie by his side. Through the jungle a river is just visible on the horizon.
Portrait of a Soldier - A posthumous portrait drawing (from photograph) of Private H Blanchard, killed in 1916.
(art) Made by: Lucas, John Seymour
Art.IWM ART 5269
image: a head and shoulders portrait of a young soldier.
(art) Made by: Hill, Adrian 1917
Art.IWM ART 13
image : a tank stands in a battlefield landscape. A number of graves marked by wooden crosses surround the tank.
(art) Made by: Burra, Edward 1946
Art.IWM ART 15554
image: A ghoulish, skeletal figure wearing a British steel helmet, stalks a featureless landscape against a red sky. The skull-like head has large black eye sockets and a fleshy nose. Its mouth, seen in profile, is the shape of a fish head and spine. The...
(art) Made by: Nash, Paul
Art.IWM ART 1147
Image: the ruins of a building that has been completely destroyed. There are a number of graves in the foreground marked by small wooden crosses in the ground. These reflect the burnt trees standing amongst the ruins, and more trees in the background....
(art) Made by: Nash, Paul 1942
Art.IWM ART 15646
image: an apocalyptic vision of a horde of screaming skulls rising up from the depths of the landscape. Included in the centre is a cut out of Hitler's open mouth, moustache and nose, incorporating a collage element into the composition. The ground...