Search Our Collections
- London, England, UK
- Norwood, London, England, UK
- Fulham, London, England, UK
- Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, UK
- Poplar, London, England, UK
- Southwark, London, England, UK
- Coventry, Warwickshire, England, UK
- Greenwich, London, England, UK
- Kensington, London, England, UK
- Lambeth, London, England, UK
- Bromley, Kent, England, UK
- England, UK
- Paddington, London, England, UK
- St Pancras, London, England, UK
- Bethnal Green, London, England, UK
- Chelsea, London, England, UK
- Denham, Buckinghamshire, England, UK
- Kennington, London, England, UK
- Peckham, London, England, UK
- Silvertown, Essex, England, UK
- Stokenham, Devon, England, UK
- Thames (River), England, UK
- United States of America
- Welwyn, Hertfordshire, England, UK
- Home Front, UK, Second World War
- V-Weapon Offensive 1944-1945, United Kingdom, Second World War
- Blitz, United Kingdom, Second World War
- Lend-Lease Act 1941, Government Acts
- D-Day, Normandy Landings 1944, North West Europe, Second World War
- Demobilisation, Second World War
- Liberation of the Netherlands 1944-1945, North West Europe, Second World War
- Bomb Damage
- Towns and Cities
- Daily Life
- Civil Defence
- Rest & Relaxation
- Research & Development
A messenger boy (centre) runs down a London street in order to deliver the message received by staff at the Emergency Telephone Bureau on behalf of a telephone subscriber whose own telephone system has been damaged by an air raid. In the foreground, a...
Pedestrians and buses hurry along as they go about their daily business on High Street, Coventry. The focus of this photograph is the Cathedral, the tower of which can be seen behind some Ministry of Information posters.
Two groups of smiling children sit at tables and eat cheese, imported from America as part of the Lend-Lease scheme, in the playground of a severely bomb-damaged school in London, now being used as a feeding centre. Piles of salvaged wood, including...
Patience 'Boo' Brand washes mugs in a bowl of water on the ground next to the WVS tea car, somewhere in London, 1941. The cups are washed straight after use and put away so that they are immediately ready when the tea car arrives at its next...
A medical officer, or mobile unit doctor, adminsters morphia to a female casualty, who has just been freed from under a pile of rubble and timber. Her legs have been heavily bandaged, with her right leg requiring a splint. The Civil Defence workers who...
Civil Defence workers pick their way over rubble as they carry a stretcher case to safety, following a V2 incident, somewhere in the south of England. The original caption states that the rocket fell here "about two hours ago" and that this...
A pile of rubble and timber dominates the foreground of this photograph, recording bomb damage to George Street and Hospital Street in Birmingham. In the background, further damage can be seen to a row of houses.
The leader of the 'light rescue' party brings a casualty to a safe place, after having removed him from a 'poisoned atmosphere'. The 'light rescue' leader is wearing remote breathing apparatus and the hose through which...
'Rip' the dog and an ARP Warden survey the scene of devastation following an air raid in Latham Street, Poplar. The bomb crater is full of water. In the background, the remains of the local surface shelter can be seen, which, although...
A waiter dishes up a plate of American eggs and bacon to a group of people seated at a table outside the empty shell of a severely bomb damaged school. The school has the words 'Sayer Street Schools, 1891' on the stone plaque visible on the...