Search Our Collections
- Great Britain GB
- Germany (pre 1945 and post 1990) DE
- United Kingdom
- Bari Harbour, Bari
- Bari, Apulia, Italy
- Berlin, Germany
- English Channel
- Heraklion, Crete, Greece
- Italy IT
- Norwich, Norfolk, England, UK
- Oyle, Lower Saxony, Germany
- Plymouth, Devon, England, UK
- Reich Air Ministry, Wilhelmstraße, Berlin
- Romney Marsh, Kent, England, UK
- Vignacourt, Somme, France
- Warsaw, Poland
- Eastern Front, Second World War
- German Invasion of the Soviet Union 1941, Eastern Front, Second World War
- V-Weapon Offensive 1944-1945, United Kingdom, Second World War
- Blitz, United Kingdom, Second World War
- Defeat of Germany 1945, Second World War
- Allied Air Offensive 1942-1945, Germany, Second World War
- Baedeker Raids 1942, United Kingdom, Second World War
- Battle of France 1940, France and the Low Countries, Second World War
- Crete 1941, Middle East 1941-1944, Second World War
- German Air Raid on Bari 1943, Italy, Second World War
- German-Russian Invasion of Poland 1939, Second World War
- Naval Operations, Second World War
- Siege of Warsaw 1939, Poland, Second World War
- Bomb Damage
- air raid / blitz
- Aircraft Accidents
- war debris
- Aerial Warfare
- civilian personnel
- fire / fire fighting
- Military Personnel
- artist's response
- barrage balloons
- civilian suffering
- historical reference
- Military Aviation
- supplies / provisions
- surrender / retreat
A V2 Train in a Railway Cutting at Oyle : After it had been attacked by aircraft of the 2nd Tactical Air Force, 1945
(art) Made by: Stafford-Baker, Julius 1945
Art.IWM ART LD 5421
image: a view looking along a bombed train carrying V2 rockets through the countryside. Debris has been scattered over the banks.
(art) Made by: Seddon, Richard Harding 1940-06-10
Art.IWM ART LD 5989
image: HMS Boadicea shown from the stern, keeling to the left, with a tug on either side. A low land mass can be seen in the background.
(art) Made by: Cole, Leslie 1944
Art.IWM ART LD 4286
image: a view across Romney Marshes with a small farm in the distance and a narrow path running along the left side of the image. In the foreground the propulsion unit of a flying bomb lies in a crater in a field.
part of "ADMIRALTY OFFICIAL COLLECTION" (photographs) Made by: Royal Navy official photographer
Invasion: The bombing of Heraklion aerodrome in Crete by the Luftwaffe. The British officers in Crete had showed more concern about the possibility of a sea invasion. This meant that a fundamental weakness of the British defence was the complete lack of...
(art) Made by: Hailstone, Bernard 1943
Art.IWM ART LD 4054
image: View of a harbour with sunken ships, a pall of black smoke hanging over the scene
part of "MINISTRY OF INFORMATION SECOND WORLD WAR PRESS AGENCY PRINT COLLECTION" (photographs) Made by: German official photographer 1939-09-07
The bombing of Warsaw: view from a German Junkers Ju 52 bomber of smoke rising over the outskirts of the city.
(art) Made by: Stafford-Baker, Julius 1945-07-04
Art.IWM ART LD 5608
image: a destroyed V bomb site in a clearing where part of the ramp lies broken on ground, surrounded by debris, while the other half has fallen onto its concrete support.
(art) Made by: Self, Colin 2001
Art.IWM ART 16766
image: Two aircraft drop bombs over Norwich, the cathedral spire visible in the distance on the right. Flames can be seen coming from buildings. In the left foreground there are men firing an anti-aircraft gun, and a woman pushing a child in a pram.
(art) Made by: Stafford-Baker, Julius 1945-07-10
Art.IWM ART LD 5432
image: a view along a badly bombed Berlin street. The building in the right foreground is propped up with girders, while the roof of the next building along is collapsing into pile of rubble in the street. Civilians and soldiers make their way through...
(art) Made by: Kennington, Eric Henri 1941
Art.IWM ART LD 1088
image: A night scene with a trail of lights in the background leading up to a ball of fire in the foreground.