Search Our Collections
- Great Britain GB
- Germany (pre 1945 and post 1990) DE
- St Martin's Cathedral, Ypres, West Flanders, Belgium
- Gheluveldt, West Flanders, Belgium
- Messines, West Flanders, Belgium
- Ploegsteert, Hainaut, Belgium
- China CN
- Leuven, Brabant, Belgium
- Louvain Cathedral, Louvain, Brabant, Belgium
- Menin Road Aid Post, Ypres
- Menin Road, Ypres, West Flanders, Belgium
- New Zealand NZ
- Ypres Salient, West Flanders, Belgium
- Zillebeke, West Flanders, Belgium
- Western Front, First World War
- Battle of Messines 1917, Allied Offensives 1917, Western Front, First World War
- 2nd National Defence Loan 1916, Home Front, France, First World War
- Battles of Ypres 1917, Allied Offensives 1917, Western Front, First World War
- German Offensives 1918, Western Front, First World War
- Home Front, Germany, First World War
- WW1 French 2nd National Defence Loan
- WW1 French Home Front
- WW1 German Home Front
- Imperial German Army
- British Army
- British Army, Royal Army Medical Corps
- Banque Nationale de Crédit
- British Army, Chinese Labour Corps
- British Army, Labour Corps
- British Army, Royal Artillery, Royal Field Artillery
- Indian Army
- Jesus Christ
- New Zealand Army, New Zealand Division
- Wilhelm II, Kaiser of Germany
- Military Personnel
- Bomb Damage
- trench / defences
- wounded / disabled
- military suffering
- war debris
- medical / convalescence
- civilian effort
- fire / fire fighting
- flag / banner / standard
- medals / orders / decorations
- military buildings / installations
- Military housing
- Natural phenomena / time / weather
(art) Made by: Nash, Paul 1918
Art.IWM ART 2706
image: a view of a Western Front battlefield in the aftermath of battle, with rain falling from the sky. Four corpses lie amongst shattered trenches, with broken duckboards, barbed wire and corrugated iron littering the scene. There are also water filled...
Sick Parade: British Labour Corps, Indian Troops, Chinese Labour Corps. and German Prisoners of War, Menin Road Aid Post Ypres, 1919
(art) Made by: Mackey, Haydn Reynolds
Art.IWM ART 3781
image: The interior of an aid post on the Menin Road near Ypres in Belgium. A doctor stands by a table covered in medical supplies with a British soldier lying on a stretcher by his feet. On the right hand side is a parade of sick men, comprising an...
(art) Made by: Nash, Paul 1918
Art.IWM ART 1602
image: a heavily damaged German pillbox looms large in the right foreground, some debris littered outside the entrance doorway. There is a tree stump and another damaged structure in the distance.
(posters) Made by: Oppenheim, Louis (Undefined) 1918
Art.IWM PST 7649
whole: the five images occupy the upper centre, centre left, centre right and lower right. The image in the lower right is held within a black border. The title is separate and positioned along the top edge, in brown. The text is partially integrated and...
(art) Made by: Roberts, William 1917
Art.IWM ART 1168
image: a view down the Menin Road in the Ypres sector of the Western Front. Two small columns of British troops march along the road, the foremost comprised of men of the Royal Field Artillery. Two ambulance trucks drive ahead of them. Alongside the road...
(posters) Made by: Richard, M (Undefined) 1916
Art.IWM PST 4356
whole: the image covers the majority of the poster area, with the title positioned across the top in red. Further text is positioned across the bottom, also in red. image: Victory leads the Allied armies, atop rolling clouds, across a battlefield of dead...
(art) Made by: Spare, Austin O
Art.IWM ART 3634
image: a British soldier dresses a wound on his left leg just above the ankle. He sits on the ground with a dead or wounded German infantryman beside him, along with a gas mask, a stick grenade, a knapsack, a water bottle and the package of his field...
(art) Made by: Rose, Geoffrey K 1915-05
Art.IWM ART 4786
image: a view of several graves marked with wooden crosses and plaques in Ploegsteert Wood. A duckboard path runs across the wood in the middle ground.
(art) Made by: Smith, Percy Delf
Art.IWM ART 16640 (7)
image: the scene of a battle showing a British infantryman wearing a gas mask, poised to bayonet a German soldier emerging from a trench on the left of the composition. The German is unarmed and has his back to his assailant. Death, personified as a...
(art) Made by: Wright, Seppings 1917
Art.IWM ART 199
image: New Zealand infantrymen launch an attack on Messines Ridge. Numerous men are shown rushing a German trench, with further men moving rapidly up the ridge in the distance. The men in the foreground are fully armed for an assault, holding rifles,...