Search Our Collections
- Great Britain GB
- Germany (pre 1945 and post 1990) DE
- Bissegem, West Flanders, Belgium
- Cassel, Nord, France
- Ghent, East Flanders, Belgium
- Hill 60, Ypres Salient, West Flanders, Belgium
- Hooge, West Flanders, Belgium
- Ploegsteert, Hainaut, Belgium
- Saint-Omer, Pas-de-Calais, France
- Trezennes, Pas-de-Calais, France
- Ypres Salient, West Flanders, Belgium
- Royal Air Force, Royal Flying Corps
- Imperial German Army Air Service
- Royal Air Force
- McCudden, James Thomas Byford
- Barker, William George
- Bennett, W G
- Bishop, William Avery
- Hawker, Lanoe George
- Hoidge, Reginald Theodore Carlos
- Insall, Gilbert Stuart Martin
- Liddell, John Aidan
- Mannock, Mick
- Mottershead, Thomas
- Rhys Davids, Arthur P F
- Royal Air Force, 60 Squadron
- Royal Air Force, 85 Squadron
- Warneford, Reginald Alexander John
- Aircraft Accidents
- aerial view
- Military Personnel
- Bomb Damage
- portrait / personification
- fire / fire fighting
- Military Aviation
- Aerial Warfare
- air raid / blitz
- medals / orders / decorations
- military buildings / installations
- Natural phenomena / time / weather
- war debris
- agriculture / food
- civilian personnel
- trench / defences
part of "VICTORIA CROSS WINNERS 1914 - 1918: A - J" (photographs)
Hawker, Lanoe George, Royal Flying Corps: Place and date of deed, France, October 1914 - July 1915.
part of "VICTORIA CROSS WINNERS PRE 1914: A - Z (GSA 87)" (photographs)
Insall, Gilbert Stuart Martin, Royal Flying Corps: Place and date of deed, France, 7 November 1915.
part of "BOND OF SACRIFICE - FIRST WORLD WAR PORTRAITS COLLECTION" (photographs)
Captain William Avery Bishop VC CB DSO & Bar MC DFC ED. Unit: 60th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. Death: 11 September 1956.
part of "VICTORIA CROSS WINNERS 1914 - 1918: K - Z" (photographs)
Mannock, Edward "Mick", Royal Flying Corps: Place and date of deed, France, May 1917 - July 1918.
part of "IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM PHOTOGRAPH ARCHIVE COLLECTION" (photographs)
Mottershead, Thomas, Royal Flying Corps: Place and date of deed, Belgium, 7 January 1917.
part of "VICTORIA CROSS WINNERS 1914 - 1918: K - Z" (photographs) Made by: Unknown Photographer
Portrait of Major James Thomas Byford McCudden VC RFC
'Plug Street' (Ploegsteert) Village : An Unusual Compliment To One Of Our Airmen: A 'Black Maria' To Himself
(art) Made by: Handley-Read, Edward 1915
Art.IWM ART 180
image: a view across an open battlefield with what appears to be a Royal Flying Corps Maurice Farman biplane having just dropped a bomb. There is an explosion of earth and black smoke in the right foreground, the black smoke bomb described in military...
(art) Made by: Nevinson, C R W (Undefined) 1917
Art.IWM ART 696
image: a British Royal Flying Corps biplane swoops down towards a German Taube aircraft. The British fighter is surrounded by an area of sunlight, diagonal beams of light creating a spectacular effect on the broken cloud in the sky.
(art) Made by: Sargent, John Singer 1918
Art.IWM ART 1610
Image: a view over fields with a crashed aircraft in the background. In the foreground two labourers gather the crop into bundles. The woman ties the sheaf, while the man works with a long handled scythe. They are both bent over their work, unheeding the...
(art) Made by: Nash, Paul 1918
Art.IWM ART 1155
Image: a battle scarred landscape with a small lake surrounded by hills. The water has been disturbed by multiple hits and smoke rises from explosions. A few biplanes are engaged in a dogfight in the sky above.