Search Our Collections
- Great Britain GB
- United Kingdom
- London, England, UK
- ARP South West Regional Headquarters, Bristol
- Bristol, Gloucestershire, England, UK
- Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England, UK
- Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, UK
- City of London, London, England, UK
- Cosway Street Rest Centre, St Marylebone
- Fort Dunlop, Birmingham
- Hereford, Herefordshire, England, UK
- Model Maker's Shop, Naval Section, Directorate of Camouflage, Leamington Spa
- Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England, UK
- Paul's Wharf, City of London
- Royal Ordnance Factory No. 51, Hereford
- Scotland, UK
- St Marylebone, London, England, UK
- Thames (River), England, UK
- The Rink Camouflage Workshop, Directorate of Camouflage, Leamington Spa
- Air Raid Precautions (ARP)
- Royal Navy
- British Army, Royal Artillery, Anti-Aircraft Regiment
- Buchanan (Sister)
- DIRECTORATE OF CAMOUFLAGE
- Directorate of Camouflage, Naval Section
- Fiddeman, Betty
- Ironside, Christopher
- Ministry of Home Security
- Rathmell, Thomas
- Solomon, Gilbert
- St John's Ambulance Malayan Relief Team
- munitions / manufacture
- civilian personnel
- women / women's work
- air raid precautions / shelters
- civilian effort
- medical / convalescence
- Aircraft Accidents
- civil defence / ARP
- Military Personnel
- supplies / provisions
- wounded / disabled
- agriculture / food
- air raid / blitz
- Bomb Damage
- business / trading / markets
- civilian suffering
- Costume and fashion
(art) Made by: Richards, Albert 1942
Art.IWM ART LD 3284
image: a searchlight on a small paved area of a promenade, next to a lighthouse. The area is surrounded by barbed wire and also contains a small, manned anti-aircraft gun emplacement. There are several men in uniform in the battery, including one asleep...
(art) Made by: Jillard, Hilda 1939
Art.IWM ART 15201
image: A muscular male farm worker stands with his back to the artist and with his hands on his hips, surveying a field of wheat. Six aircraft fly in the darkening sky above.
(art) Made by: Bone, Stephen
Art.IWM ART LD 3281
image: two men look out of the skylights in the roof of a shop as the shadow of a kite balloon passes over them.
(art) Made by: Spear, Ruskin 1942
Art.IWM ART LD 2581
image: A London street at night. The road is lined with buildings and shops, and figures walking along the pavement on either side. In the foreground there is a woman in a red coat on the left; two figures dressed in dark clothes crossing the road in...
(art) Made by: Spear, Ruskin 1942
Art.IWM ART LD 2683
image: Two figures sitting on chairs in a makeshift waiting room. A curtain dividing this space off from the rest of the interior runs along the left of the composition to the centre ground. There is a white table standing in the foreground, an open...
(art) Made by: Medley, Robert 1940
Art.IWM ART LD 83
image: on the right four men hold a strecher with a patient between them. On the left another patient is being attended to on he floor, watched by the examiners.
(art) Made by: Cundall, Charles Ernest 1940
Art.IWM ART LD 749
image: parts of a hull of a submarine stand under construction in a large scaffold, dwarfing nearby workers.
(art) Made by: Mason, Frank 1943
Art.IWM ART LD 2755
image: the model maker stands at his desk holding a piece of wood. He is surrounded by tools and wood shavings. On the table in front of him is a red model of a ship. There are other models sitting on the window sill under the partially drawn curtains.
(art) Made by: Platt, John Edgar 1942
Art.IWM ART LD 2640
image: a view across the Thames. Several barges, tugs and gunboats sail up and down the river. The dome of St Paul's is visible between the two warehouses on the far bank.
(art) Made by: Armstrong, John 1943
Art.IWM ART LD 3359
image: Four munitions workers, three of whom appear to be female, are at work inside the shell of a Mosquito aircraft, which stands in pieces supported by a wooden scaffold. The factory scene is lit from above by suspended lamps and there are other...