Monty's Map Caravan ( Fordson )
- Catalogue number
- Display status
- IWM Duxford
- whole: Height 11 ft, Length 31 ft, Width 8 ft
- Alternative names
- Monty's Map Caravan ( Fordson )
- Vehicles, aircraft and ships
British WW2 caravan built in 1944 on a 6x2 truck chassis for General Montgomery as part of his mobile tactical headquarters.
This is the 3rd of Montgomery's vehicles. During his campaigns in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy Montgomery had recognised the need for a map lorry from which he could conduct operations in the field. This vehicle was built (by the British Trailer Company, of Trafford Park), to the designs of Montgomery's personal staff, and presented to him on 17 April 1944, seven weeks before D-Day. This lorry became the nerve centre of Montgomery's Tactical Headquarters in North-West Europe from June 1944 until May 1945.
Associated people and organisations
All Rights Reserved except for Fair Dealing exceptions otherwise permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.