First World War - War in the Air

1 pdr Vickers Gun Mk II

Fair Use

All Rights Reserved except for Fair Dealing exceptions otherwise permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Catalogue number
  • ORD 98
Display status
IWM Duxford
Production date
1903
Materials
  • metal
Alternative Names
  • FULL NAME: 1 pdr Vickers Gun Mk II
  • SIMPLE NAME: gun, anti-aircraft : British
Creator
Object Type
anti-aircraft gun
Category
weapons and ammunition

Label

This gun was produced in 1900. The Vickers Son & Maxim despatch book records its sale to the British South Africa Comany in April of that year. The history of its employment in South Africa unfortunately remain obscure, although evidently it survived the Boer War and was returned to the UK. On 7 August 1914 the gun was issued to the Anti-Aircraft Gun Station, Gresham College, London. It subsequently became the first weapon to fire a shot in the defence of London on 8 September 1915 when a Zeppelin airship was spotted over Holborn at 10.37pm. The gun opened fire at 10.44pm and fired a total of 11 rounds, and was ordered to "Cease Fire" at 10.56pm. The Duty Officer in the Gresham Sub-Control was a Sub-Lieut. Charles ffoulkes RNVR, who became the Secretary and first Curator of the Imperial War Museum.The gun was removed to Shingle Street Aircraft Battery on 25 September 1915, then to Ipswich Anti-Aircraft Gun Station in October 1915, and then returned to Chatham on 19 February 1917. It fired a total 2810 rounds.

History note

This gun was produced in 1900. The Vickers Son & Maxim dispatch book records its sale to the British South Africa Company in April of that year. The history of its employment in South Africa unfortunately remain obscure, although evidently it survived the Boer War and was returned to the UK. On 7 August 1914 the gun was issued to the Anti-Aircraft Gun Station, Gresham College, London. It subsequently became the first weapon to fire a shot in the defence of London on 8 September 1915 when a Zeppelin airship was spotted over Holborn at 10.37pm. The gun opened fire at 10.44pm and fired a total of 11 rounds, and was ordered to "Cease Fire" at 10.56pm. The Duty Officer in the Gresham Sub-Control was a Sub-Lieut. Charles ffoulkes RNVR, who became the Secretary and first Curator of the Imperial War Museum. The gun was removed to Shingle Street Aircraft Battery on 25 September 1915, then to Ipswich Anti-Aircraft Gun Station in October 1915, and then returned to Chatham on 19 February 1917. It fired a total 2810 rounds.

Physical description

gun, pedestal gun and pedestal Technical deails, the date and manufacturer are stamped on plates affixed to the gun Q.F. 1PDR Mark II. V.S.M. 1903. N11. Weight 410lbs. Vickers Ltd. 9842. London

Plates

Q.F. 1PDR Mark II V.S.M. 1903 N11 Weight 410lbs Vickers Ltd 9842 London

Associated people and organisations

Comments (0)

Comments are the user's own and in no-way express the opinion of the IWM. Read our community policy for more details.

Add a comment

Add a comment

Please stay polite and on-topic: