Péronne L'Eglise St Jean [St Jean Church, Péronne]

Catalogue number
  • Art.IWM BUTE 149
Department
Art and Popular Design
Subject period
Materials
  • Support: paper, rag
  • medium: etching
Dimensions
  • Support: Height 248 mm, Width 330 mm
Alternative names
  • object category: print
Creator
Category
art
Gift of the 5th Marquess of Bute, 1951

Object description

image: The shell of the Church of St Jean centrally placed within the composition, overlooking a public square in the foreground. Along the side of the Church, in shadow and facing the viewer, rests a massive pile of rubble which runs around past the entrance to the right. A roseate glow of sunset emanates through the shattered windows and behind the ruined houses in the background to the left and right of the composition. In the foreground, a corner of the square intrudes the composition from the right. A small neo- classical memorial, with carved laurel swags on each of its four sides at the top, stands surrounded by shrubs and low metal railings. To the right, three saplings in a row, to the left, a decapitated street lamp. Immediately in front of the memorial stands an (indistinct) figure leaning to the right and pulling on the lead of a small seated white dog.

Inscription

signed Bertin

Inscription

titled

Associated places
Associated events
Associated keywords