MISCELLANEOUS FIRST WORLD WAR NAVAL MATERIAL 8 [Allocated Title]
- Catalogue number
- IWM 1156
- Production date
- Place made
- Subject period
- whole: Number Of Items/reels/tapes 1
© IWMLicense Film
Collection of miscellaneous naval scenes from the First World War.
I. Aerial shots of a flight of Handley Page 0/400s over town and countryside (cf IWM 551/7).
II. RNAS accommodation huts face a small green populated by ducks. Medium close-up as a kite balloon is released (cf IWM 570/2).
III. Sopwith Pup takes off from aerodrome and makes a series of low passes. BE2c and a Pup take off. Panning medium shot along a line of parked aircraft, including a Pup and a Bristol Scout D.
IV. Sopwith Baby takes off and circles - pier in the background. Medium close-up as ground crew manhandle Baby No 8145.
V. Long shot as three HP 0/400s go over, and aerial shots of their formation.
VI. Medium shot of Royal Sovereign Class battleship underway in a slight sea. Medium close-up of HMS Offa (G.56) at speed. Medium shots of a white smoke screen at sea, then of two lines of destroyers astern of the camera ship. Moored V/W Class destroyer is passed by a torpedo boat (TB.81 at Portsmouth ?) - Botha Class Leader in extreme background. Medium close-up off the starboard bow of HMS Moorsom (H.84), and pan left to hold on following M Class destroyer.
VII. Aerial long shot as a patrol boat drops a depth charge, which explodes in the ship's wake. Medium shot of ship's wake as depth charge explodes astern.
VIII. Medium shot of M Class destroyer underway in rough sea - waves break over the focsle.
IX. Submarine E.23 submerges. Medium close-up amidships as surfaced boat fires 12-pounder (film badly scratched). Long shot of U.162 seen in a binocular frame (cf IWM 1155).
X. Naval auxiliary (collier?) comes alongside cameraship.
XI. Forth anchorage. Medium shot of moored Royal Sovereign Class battleship with submarine alongside. Two more Royal Sovereigns in the background.
XII. Continuation of sequence.
X. Auxiliary makes away from the cameraship.
Associated people and organisations
- Royal Navy, E23
- Royal Navy, Royal Naval Air Service
- Royal Navy, MOORSOM (HMS)
- German Imperial Navy, U162
- Royal Navy, Offa
- Royal Navy, TB81
- ships, British naval - destroyer: Moorsom (H.84)
- ships, British naval - destroyer: V/W Class
- aircraft, British - combat: Bristol Scout D
- ships, British naval - battleship: Royal Sovereign Class
- combat, British naval - anti-submarine: depth charge
- ships, German naval - submarine: U162 & [surrendered]
- ships, British naval - destroyer: Offa (G.56)
- ships, British naval - destroyer, TB: TB81
- ships, British naval - destroyer: Botha Class Leader
- ships, British naval - submarine: E23
- aircraft, British - combat: Handley Page 0/400
- aircraft, British - combat: Royal Aircraft Establishment BE2c
- aircraft, British - combat: Sopwith Pup
- aircraft, British - combat: Sopwith Baby
- weapons, British naval - gun: 12-pounder
All Rights Reserved except for Fair Dealing exceptions otherwise permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.